In women,the creation of smooth and well defined curves will always improves their figures. As surgeons, we aims to improve the shape of our patients,but the results of our effort are closely linked to the expectations of each patients being realistic rather than unrealizable.
In male , a more angular and muscular shape is sought ,paying attention to the definition of abdomen and chest wall muscularity.
Improvement in shape and figure generally makes patients feel more comfortable about themselves ,enabling more versatility wearing differents clothes,sporting fashions and/or swimwear.
Liposuction has estabilished itself as the most valuable body –contouring plastic surgergical procedures available and the demand for it is not abating.
Improved instrumentation and anesthetic techniques have facilitated better and upgraded results since the introduction of technique 30 year ago.
1) The optimal patient is who have completed diet and exercises,but still have localized areas of fat deposition.
2) In men these areas are abdomen, male breast, and love handle area.
3) In females these areas are inner thigh, outer thighs, hips and abdomen.
4) Obese patient should be accepted with proper counselling explaining that that liposuction is procedure for body sculpturing and not for weight reduction. Hence expectation should be realistic with proper understanding of limitation of liposuction.
What is safe liposuction ?
It is generally accepted that large -volume liposuction is anything over 5000 mL of fat removal and that greater volumes of aspiration are associated with increasing complication rates.
Liposuction Machines ?
Normal suction machine which generates about 30 mmHg negative pressure.
Ultrasonic liposuction Machines
Power assisted liposuction machine
Manually with syringe cannula
There are various cannulas of different sizes varying from 1 mm to 6 mm and in different shapes with varying tips.
Liposuction can be done under general, regional or local infiltration with IV sedation.
Dressing, Compression and postoperative management
After closure of all access ports with an absorbable suture, a guaze dressing applied
There will be some fluid leakage from the incisions overnight.
Patient have to wear pressure garments for 2 to 3 months.
Adjunctive measures postoperatively
Lymph drainage, massage and ultrasound treatment by a qualified physiotherapist are recommended for persistent swelling and tissue that are woody, indurated or bruised.
2) Blood Loss
4) Venous thrombosis are rare
5) Pulmonary embolism are very rare
6) Visceral perforation- again very rare
4) Contour deformity
5) Loose skin which is not contracted.
Numbness and paresthesia are usually self-limiting.